In the fast-paced world of boutique electric vehicle manufacturing, innovation is the name of the game. To stay ahead, it’s crucial to adopt cutting-edge technologies, and one such game-changer is 3D printing. At our workshop, we have harnessed the power of 3D printers to create rapid prototypes and produce functional components for the interior and exterior of our electric vehicles. To get more details on how we use the 3D printers in the automotive industry, you can read our dedicated ARTICLE. Let’s delve into the types of 3D printing brands that drive our creative process.
Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM):
MODIX BIG-Meter: Where Size Meets Speed
The MODIX 1 sqm FDM printer is the behemoth in our 3D printing arsenal. With a remarkable print volume of 980 x 1,000 x 1,000 mm, it’s our go-to machine for producing dashboards, panels, and other large parts that don’t require intricate detailing. Equipped with 0.5mm nozzles, we prioritize speed, and our creativity knows no bounds. We’ve even printed tilted parts for our electric motorcycle, pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Print volume: 980 x 1,000 x 1,000 mm
- Printer dimensions: 1,739 x 1,424 x 1,808 mm
- Shipping weight: 200 kg
- Print head: Single Griffin extruder, 1.75mm filament, with a dual head (IDEX) option.
- Control: Duet3D Wifi 32-bit controller & Duex5 Expansion board
- Z-axis: 4 motors for individual control and automatic bed tilt calibration.
- Bed leveling: 100 probing points for automatic precision.
- Notable creations: The MODIX produced the body panels of our Kinetik 21 electric vehicle, which were further refined through sanding, priming, and painting.
Creality Ender 3: The Workhorse
For smaller parts and prototypes, we rely on our trusted workhorses, the Creality Ender 3 3D printers. These machines churn out intricate designs with precision, thanks to 0.3mm nozzles. Their speed and attention to detail make them invaluable for crafting components that are essential to our vehicle prototypes.
Bamboo Lab 3D Printer:
Our latest addition to the 3D printing farm, the Bamboo Lab 3D printer, brings exquisite detail and multicolor capabilities to the table. It’s perfect for crafting beautiful details for both the exterior and interior of our electric vehicles. With a maximum nozzle temperature of 300°C and the ability to use multiple filaments and colors, this printer empowers us to push the boundaries of creativity.
- Usable Filament Diameter: 1.75 mm
- Max Nozzle Temperature: 300°C
- Extruder Type: Direct drive
- Maximum Printing Speed: 500 mm/s
- Build Area: 256 mm x 256 mm x 256 mm
- Build Plate Max Temperature: 110°C
- Build Plate Surface: Bambu cool plate
- Filament Chamber: Closed
- Notable features: Ability to print with multiple filaments and colors consecutively.
RAT RIG V-CORE 3.1: The Custom Monster
Among our 3D printers, the RAT RIG V-CORE 3.1 stands as a true custom masterpiece. Loaded with sensors, an advanced Enclosure 2.0 for superior print quality, and a high-end Toolhead, this printer is an engineering marvel. The open-source software at our disposal grants us complete control over every aspect of the printing process.
- Customized features: Sensors, Enclosure 2.0, high-end Toolhead.
- Control: Open-source software for fine-tuning every aspect.
- Customization: Extensive, making specific specs hard to define.
Fuse 1 SLS 3D Printer: Redefining Industrial 3D Printing
Introducing the Fuse 1 SLS 3D Printer, a revolutionary addition to our workshop’s 3D printing capabilities. The Fuse Series is more than just a printer; it’s a compact powerhouse that delivers high-quality end-use parts in a space-saving footprint. With a streamlined workflow that optimizes efficiency and a user-friendly interface, it’s the epitome of industrial 3D printing innovation.
- Compact and Powerful: The Fuse 1 Series redefines industrial 3D printing by offering high-quality end-use parts in a compact form factor. This means more efficient use of space in our workshop without compromising on output quality.
- Streamlined Workflow: From print setup to powder recovery, the Fuse 1’s hardware and software are meticulously designed to maximize efficiency. Whether you’re setting up a new print or performing routine maintenance, the interface guides you through each step, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
The Fuse 1 SLS 3D Printer is a versatile tool in our electric vehicle design and production process, serving key roles:
- Rapid Prototyping: Speed up development with quick and iterative prototypes.
- Functional Prototyping: Design and test vehicle components for functionality and reliability.
- Concept Modeling: Refine design concepts with precision and clarity.
- Rapid Tooling: Create custom tooling solutions for manufacturing processes.
- Manufacturing Aids: Develop specialized tools to enhance production quality and efficiency.
The Fuse 1 SLS 3D Printer employs cutting-edge Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) technology, setting new standards for industrial 3D printing.
- Build Volume (W x D x H): 165 × 165 × 300 mm (6.5 x 6.5 x 11.8 inches).
- Layer Thickness: 110 microns (0.004 inches).
- Laser Type: Ytterbium Fiber 10W laser.
- Laser Spot Size (FWHM): 200-micron (0.0079 inches) for intricate, detailed prints.
To stay informed about our latest developments, including updates on our showcased projects and exclusive insights, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter and follow our blog. Together, let’s make a difference and celebrate the intersection of passion, technology, and philanthropy.